Wednesday, April 22, 2009

OLIVER'S CABIN, CADES COVE, SMOKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK

Talk about scary! The Oliver's, a young family with one child and one on the way, built this cabin, the first in Cades Cove, to live among the Cherokee's in 1818. Can you imagine moving your family to an isolated area in the middle of hostile people with no one and nothing to depend on? Turns out, it was a good move. They were so busy building their cabin, that when winter came,they had no time to plant food! The Cherokee's brought them food and helped them survive. Cades Cove is a clearing in the middle of Smoky Mountain National Park. The flowers are actually day lilies.

This is an 8x10, oil on panel, in my Etsy shop.

11 comments:

NexIs said...

i have the same philosophy about making art --- do what you want, how you want. these days artists talk about a "brand" --- a recoagnizable fingerprint of their work. freedom is why i make art and i get that from your work too. keep it up. looks very good

Darlene Twitchell said...

I really like this painting Carol! I love the contrast between the bright colors in the foreground and the muted ones of the cabin and landscape surrounding it. It's lovely! I'm dying to walk into the painting and peer inside the cabin!

Lauren Maurer said...

wow - the orange really makes this painting!! very lovely! (and i love when a painting has a cool story to go along with it!)

Kerri Settle said...

I love the touch of brightness the flowers bring to the painting! My parent's went to Cade's Cove a few years ago and I've always wanted to make a trip myself when I get the chance. Paintings like these really make me miss the mountains.

Dean H. said...

Great how the bright warm flowers advance in the painting!
Love the story...what a determined people...that's really stepping out on faith!

Unknown said...

What a great story! What an even more wonderful painting! The cool gray of the roof and sides are perfectly surrounded by those woods and vibrant flowers! LOVE this!!!!

Lyrically speaking said...

Wow,lovely work!

Karen Bruson said...

Carol, I love the red flowers in the foreground. They are gorgeous!

Paula Villanova said...

Not sure how I missed this post but it is really nice. You've captured the true essence of such a cabin and the result is really pleasing. I have been to the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee once and was knocked out by the beauty there.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Great story! (NO) I can't imagine that! Keep painting Carol, you are fabulous.

Unknown said...

I love this picture. It sure would look nice above my couch(hint, hint). Signed, your son.