Sunday, January 6, 2013

11x14 Oil Portrait for Stefani

My children and grandchildren try to join me for a little family reunion in the Blue Ridge Mountains each summer.  This year my daughter-in-law took a favorite photo of her son sitting on the rocks of a mountain stream and asked me to paint it for her.




Portraits are not my usual subject matter of choice.  They can be tedious with all the measuring and detail work necessary to get a good likeness.


It is a nice change from my landscape and still life work, but not something I would want to do on a daily basis.  This one is a nice warm-up for a couple of commissions I will be working on in the next few weeks.

I am enjoying being back in the studio on a regular basis instead of trying to squeeze in a little time here or there.  Have you recovered from the holidays?



2 comments:

carol morgan carmichael said...

This is wonderful Carol. Such beautiful colors and the highlights in his hair are perfect! I would call this more than a warm up. Love seeing a figurative from you.

hmuxo said...

This is a beautiful portrait, Carol!!. The skin tones and values are amazing. I love the light hitting his hair...perfect painting.
I'm sure your daughter-in-law loved it.