Sunday, October 9, 2016

Barn Painting, Daily Painting, Small Oil Painting, Rustic Painting, Scenic Landscape, 9x12x.75" SOLD

I am spending time in the mountains and have said goodbye to the tropical scenes, for now.

Purchase Here

I have been reviewing Wolf Kahn's body of work and it seemed to mesh nicely with the subject matter here.  He is such a master.  His sense of color is unrivaled!

I tried to take a few hints from him.

Be prepared to see a few more barns and rural scenes in the next few weeks.

Have a colorful day!

ADDITION:  Since originally writing this post, a lot has happened!  On Tuesday the 4th, we woke to the frightening news that Hurricane Matthew was targeting our home in Florida.  We hopped in the car and drove 10 hours to protect our home.  Wednesday was a stressful day with lots of hard labor in hot and humid weather.  If you have never put hurricane shutters on your home, you cannot image the amount of strength it requires to lug these 11 foot panels and attach them over windows and doors.  It was an exhausting day and my husband and I crawled to bed, grateful to have our house protected, as long as the roof held.  At five the next morning, the news is worse, the storm is now a Cat. 4 and expected to make landfall in our county.  Complete devastation is predicted!!  I call my daughter and son to inform them that they need to evacuate, which means find a safe hotel now.  My daughter goes to Boca Raton and my son and family (and their three dogs) come with us to Orlando.  Safe, but now we are expecting all of us to be homeless.  Maybe our entire town will be gone!

The night passes and we wake to good news.  At the last moment, the storm veered east, just enough to save our town, reports of damage are few and minor.  Did our roof hold?  Did our house flood?  Now we are under curfew and must wait until the curfew is lifted to return home.  Finally, at 4:00 that afternoon, we return home to find our house is fine, and so are my son and daughter's home.  Nobody can believe that the storm moved, just enough at just the right time, to save us.  We still have two days of steaming Florida heat to face without power, but there is always a smile on our faces.

We are still awaiting news of our sister in Hilton Head Island, SC who also had to evacuate.  Their entire island, which substained substancial damage, is closed off .  It will be several more days of waiting before they are allowed to inspect their home.  It will be weeks, maybe months before life returns to normal there.

Later this week, we will return to the mountains of North Carolina.  We left half our belongings there and hope to see at least a few days of autumn leaves before returning to Florida for the winter.

Having survived many hurricanes over the years, we were spared one of the worse aspects.  We were able to be in constant contact with friends and family through texting.  In the past, we sometimes waited days after the storms before having news of their safety.  We are so grateful to have survived this horrible storm.

Carol Schiff

No comments: